torsdag 25 oktober 2012

The royal family and the new engagement

I usually think of myself as a person with liberal and modern thoughts about most things, but when it comes to the royal family my romantic heart takes over. It doesn't matter how many tries to tell me that a system where anyone can inherit the title, just by being born into the right family, is outdated, my romantic heart can't see past the fantasy that royalty is a little bit special.

Not that I mean that they are more than normal people, they aren't worth more than anyone else, but I do think they are different in the meaning of uppbringing and the symbol they represent. Yes, I like fairytales! And because they don't really nowadays have any real power (they are just a symbol for the country) and they also try to modernize, for example so that a princess can inherit the throne, I can't see the harm in keeping them.

I started to think about this today after the royal court announced that princess Madeleine has gotten engage with Christopher O'Neill. I don't really know what kind of person he is but he looks handsome and everyone says that he is a really warm person, if so he is really a modern prince. I hope they will find a lot of happiness, both for themselves and for me, who will be able to keep on dreaming about my fairytale dreams.

Here is a video from the royal court with the statement from the happy couple.



Förlovning / Engagement from Kungahuset on Vimeo.