Today I finished watching the new k-drama Hotel King. The reason I started watching the drama was because I got interested in Lee Dong-wook through the show Roommate and thought I would check it out!
I really liked Hotel King, it had all of the things I love about k-dramas: love, action, intriguers and plot-twists. The last is something the drama have a lot of. Yes, some parts (no spoilers!) I figured out before hand but some were also big main parts of the story and changed everything! And you need to have these twists in the story if you are going to stay and keep watching all of the 32 episodes.
The story revolves around two main character, Ah Mo-ne and Cha Jae-wan. Cha Jae-wan is the hotel king, or hotel monster as his co-worker calls him. He works at Ciel Hotel as the General Manager and is well known for his high standards and work ethics and is trying to hide his bad past. In fact his past is the reason he is working at Ciel to begin with. He is trying to seek vengeance for the last 20 years or so and above all else he hates the chairman of the hotel and wants to take it away from him. But the chairman dies and his daughter Ah Mo-ne arrives at Ciel and tries to take over the position as chairman. Something Cha Jae-wan isn't going to like...
One of the shows best qualities was all the good actors. The two main characters Cha Jae-wan and Ah Mo-ne (Dong-Wook and Lee Da-hae) really have chemistry and you are really rooting for them. Lee Deok-hwa, who plays the evil Lee Jong-goo are a mastermind! I really didn't like his character at all! And then we have Baek Mi-nyeo (Kim Hae-sook in real life) a character that changes drastically a couple of times. Kim Hae-sook really succeed to act as her character and change with her, a couple of here scenes have the potential to become ridiculous if she wasn't as good as she is.
Another thing besides the actors that I enjoyed in this drama was the wardrobe! All of the people is so well dressed all of the time. It doesn't matter if they have a maid uniform, a suit or big printed dresses with a lot of colors. Noting is to much or out of place. Half of the time I found myself admiring just how well-fitted a suit jacket or a blouse was instead of concentrating on the plot and story.
I have one big negative aspect to point out as well. For me the drama felt really long! and with 32 episodes it kind of is as well. K-dramas is well known for the drama and deep story. Something that you also have to control. Hotel King could have had just 20/24 episodes and still be a great story. The last ten episodes or so just felt like the had to fit the story to the bigger number of episodes and therefore added stuff to the plot to try to keep it interesting. It felt as if there were to much if you understand what I am trying to say?
But anyhow, I liked the drama a lot (I did finish it, didn't I?) and you got your happy ending, just not exactly how I had written it myself.


Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar