onsdag 26 september 2012

Gangnam style-hysteria

To begin with; yes, I am writing in English. Have to try if I can. I was thinking that this way I would be able to exercise my English and at the same time maybe reach more people. We will see if I continue like this or switch back to Swedish.

But at least I hope you can overlook the mistakes I surely will make.



So, back on topic: I am going to write about PSY and Gangnam Style and the phenomena it has become. Again! I got the energy to start up the topic again yesterday when Nyhetsmorgon (on of the morning news shows in Sweden) brought up the subject. They talked about how this P.S.Y (yes, they did take it letter by letter xD) suddenly had brought k-pop around the world through Youtube. They also talked about the Gangnam Style-flashmob in Stockholm last weekend where like 300-400 people partisipated. 

I don't know what I should feel. I think it is wonderful for PSY (and all the other band/artist) who is getting the attention, they really deserve it. But at the same time it bothers me that so much people, who doesn't know enough about k-pop and its industry, talk about it. It feels as if the world suddenly is full with wannabes and people with the wrong impression of what it is all about. 

I am also a little bit afraid that PSY is going to be the mental picture of k-pop and the Korean music industry. Don't get me wrong, PSY is awesome and have many years behind him as an icon in Korea, but he is not the average k-pop idol.  PSY have unusual control and influences over his music and a lot of other idols in Korea doesn't have that opportunity. PSY also have a little different style than most of them, He isn't gorgeous to look at but instead his music is filled with humour and happiness. I am afraid that all the new interested people somewhat gets disappointed when the later on encounters other k-pop artist and doesn't give them the love they deserves. 

Hopefully my fear is not going to be fulfilled but only time can tell, in the meantime I will try not to worry about it. Some of us was here long before Gangnam Style and if the interest decreases we will remain! 
 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar